FAQs About Luxury Bed Sheets
Find out why quality matters in your bed sheets
A third of your life is spent asleep; take the time to make sure you get the most comfort by learning the answers to FAQs about luxury sheets. If you are not convinced that luxury bed sheets are worthwhile investments, get answers to the big questions asked most by bed sheet shoppers.
- Q: What does the term "thread count" mean?
- A: The thread count is the actual number of threads per square inch, running in both vertical and horizontal directions through the fabric. A low thread count has lower softness, and a high thread count means smoother and more durable bed sheets. Bed sheets ranging in thread counts of 500 to 1500 are deemed luxurious.
- Q: Are all luxury sheets stiff and thick?
- A: That all depends on the fabric and is not exclusive to luxury bedding. Cotton-polyester blend fabric, found in both low and high thread counts, is a wrinkle-resistant material with a stiffer feel in result. Silk is a fabric you see only in luxury bedding and is considered one of the softest materials in the world. Bamboo bed sheets, a more recent bedding development, are made of an all-natural fabric to produce a cashmere feel with a breathable thickness for optimum comfort.
- Q: Why are luxury sheets more expensive?
- A: Higher thread counts mean more material, which in turn mean higher prices. With the increase in cost comes the improvement of quality and durability. Egyptian cotton is a long-lasting fabric that becomes softer with each wash. Buyers of Egyptian cotton bed sheets rarely need a second set – these bed sheets last for years, often the case for any type of luxury bed sheet.