FAQs About Sateen Bed Sheets
Find out what makes smooth sateen sheets so special
Sateen bed sheets offer the exquisite feel of satin at a fraction of the price. Before shopping for your new set of sateen bed sheets, get the answers to FAQs about sateen bed sheets.
- Q: How are sateen bed sheets made?
- A: The long cotton fibers of sateen are woven into a special pattern and are treated with the chemical process “mercerization.” During mercerization, the cotton fibers are immersed into a chemical bath to remove the exterior fiber layer, resulting in a shiny surface with a satin feel.
- Q: Why do sateen bed sheets resemble satin so closely?
- A: Before mercerization, the cotton fibers are woven with a similar pattern used to make satin. Rather than the unvaried crisscross weave of satin bed sheets, sateen features a perpendicular weaving pattern for its lengthy fibers. As with satin, the stitching of sateen is limited to the reverse side of the fabric, so the top side is soft and smooth.
- Q: What are the proper care instructions for sateen bed sheets?
- A: Wash sateen bed sheets with cold water, using the gentle cycle and a mild laundry detergent. Choose a cooler dryer setting to keep your sateen bed sheets from losing shape and color. To maintain proper draping of your sateen bed sheets, avoid fabric softeners or other laundry treatments.